Friday, April 20, 2012

Call of the Wild Review

Jack London's Book Call of the Wild captured, to me, the cruel tug-and-pull of nature vs man.

This book shows how a drastic change in setting can affect you mentally and physically. When Buck first appeared in this book he was a lavish pampered dog; that all changed when he was taken and sold. I believe the betrayal of his trusted gardener ,Manuel , helped start off his UN-trusting nature towards humans when he sold him in chapter 1. Buck soon ended up in Alaska pulling superfluous sleds on the brumal Klondike Trail. This change from lavish to extreme changed Buck, he became harsh and wise in the ways of life or death situations.

Buck was teamed up with a team of sled dogs ranging from happy newcomers to cold experienced sled dogs. His biggest rival was Spitz, a cold, ruthless, and ferine pack leader. Whom Buck soon kills in a fight over Spitz killing Curly in chapter 3.

This book was a bit slow for me, and I would have liked to see more points of view than just Bucks. I wish the author would have played more off of the relationship between Buck and Thornton too. Not to say I didn't enjoy the book, I did like how Jack London showed the story through Buck.

I really recommend this book for anyone who is interested in nature, history or just a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment